Playing on the iPod~ Mumford and Sons - Pandora
Current Read~ Dragon Teeth ~ Michael Crichton (Loved, loved Andromeda Strain)
Current Fav TV, Movie~ Does scrolling through Netflix count as watching something?
Current WIP~ Urban Fantasy ~ Horror Short
Now that everyone is sitting in the afterglow of Valentine's Day, I have for you- inspired by Women in Horror Month- some of my favorite movies, books, actresses, and just all around badass women.
This seemed way easier when I was thinking about it and not having to actually write the list! Where to start..... I'll take movies and actresses -
1) The Howling (werewolves, anyone) and the great Dee Wallace- Oh yea! I can't mention Dee Wallace without adding Critters, Cujo, and Alligator 2: The Mutation. Umm.. yea, I might have a problem.
2) Halloween (Oh my gosh) Jamie Lee Curtis, hold on- that leads straight to The Fog, and that leads to Adrienne Barbeau and Swamp Thing. Alright, and- Escape from New York.
3) The Others - Nicole Kidman - Stumbled onto this movie and knew nothing about it when I watched it. Sad, dark, and chilling.
4) The Birds - Tippi Hedren and Psycho - Janet Leigh
5) The Brain that Wouldn't Die - Virginia Leith
6) Let's talk directors- One of my favorites here and has a killer sound track (hehehe)
1) American Psycho - Mary Harron
2) Near Dark - Kathryn Bigelow
3) Pet Sematary - Mary Lambert
4) Ravenous - Antonia Bird
5) Jennifer's Body - Karyn Kusama
I can't go without adding these two!! American Mary, Hellevator - Jen Soska and Sylvia Soska
The space is small- the list is endless.
7) Frankenstein / The Modern Prometheus - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly
8) The Apple Tree included The Birds - Daphne du Maurier
9) The Haunting of Hill House, The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
10) Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Andrews (to name one)
Here are several - many, many more out there- women writers who have taken vampires, werewolves, witches, and the paranormal and turned them into a hot mess of greatness.
Laurell K. Hamilton
Leslie Esdaile Banks
That's it- the list will never be complete. I'm not even going to try.
"It is women who love horror. Gloat over it. Feed on it. Are nourished by it. Shudder and cling and cry out- and come back for more."
~ Bela Lugosi ~